[OpenIndiana-discuss] zpool errors a bit confusing

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 6 23:03:51 UTC 2014

How would you propose to test software other than to put it into production use?  Writing test cases and running tests will only get you so far. There are a number of business ventures based on Illumos.  Those certainly qualify as "production".  I'd also point out that the starting point for OI was a professionally written production system, not a student project.

I run OI on two "production" systems, my  internet access system and my NAS.  My primary workstation runs Solaris 10 u8 and will until I get a sufficient comfort level about OI.  That said I'm pretty comfortable w/ OI.  My OI issues all seem to be X related, though it's hard to separate X from Firefox.   The base OS appears to be quite solid.

A periodic summary of the issues preventing the announcement of a stable release would be interesting.  It might motivate some people to work on them.  Often things that do not affect most users can cause delays.  I'd particularly expect considerable reluctance to announce "stable"  in  a Solaris derived community.  There are quite a few grey beards around here.

Reg

BTW oi.mail-list might confuse people and lead them to think that it was something other than just your email account.  I'd like to suggest you pick another name that doesn't include oi or openindiana.