[OpenIndiana-discuss] Moving an OI zone between servers

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Apr 16 17:01:17 UTC 2014

16 апреля 2014 г. 18:30:13 CEST, "Christopher X. Candreva" <chris at westnet.com> пишет:

>I'm having a devil of a time moving a zone to another server. I tried
>following the Solaris instructions (
>https://blogs.oracle.com/openomics/entry/solaris_zone_migration ), but
>at
>the install step it seems OI's zoneadm can't read a zfs send file, as I
>get
>this error:
>
>chris at Zeb:/root# zoneadm -z Jacob install -a Jacob.zfs -p
>A ZFS file system has been created for this zone.
>    Log File: /var/tmp/Jacob.install_log.RQaiQk
>Error: Unknown archive format. Must be a flash archive, a cpio archive
>(can
>also be gzipped or bzipped), a pax XUSTAR archive, or a level 0 ufsdump
>
>archive.
>ERROR: Installation aborted.
>

>I've also tried doing the zfs send/receive ahead of time and trying to
>attach, but get this error:
>
>Log File: /var/tmp/Jacob.attach_log.CKaGhl
>ERROR: Failed to locate any dataset mounted at /zones/jacob/root.
>Attach
>requires a mounted dataset.
>                    Result: Attach Failed.
>chris at Zeb:/root#
>

>On the old server with the zone shutdown, I see these mounts:
>rpool/zones/jacob                  43722064       33  43722031   1%
>/zones/jacob
>rpool/zones/jacob/ROOT/zbe-1       44543497   821466  43722031   2%
>/zones/jacob/root
>

>But ...ROOT/zbe-1 has a mount point of legacy. I can't make any changes
>the zfs file systems from the global zone because they are delegated to
>the
>zone.  Is it possible to attach a zone this way ? What is the best way
>to do
>this ?

Several ideas; on one hand, you can use 'zoneadm ready' to mount the zone filesystems in an official manner. You might also unset the 'zoned=on' attribute temporarily and mount the dataset manually (set mountpoint or use 'mount -F zfs pool/... /mnt/...' to maintain legacy mode).

To transfer you'd probably use 'zfs send -R' for recursive (children and snapshots), though you can use rsync if you get the filesystem mounted and the dataset hierarchy recreated by hand - but you'd rarely need that (i.e. large replica over bad link, so zfssend never succeeds).

Hth,
//Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android