[OpenIndiana-discuss] Identical Installs but different screen Res

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Apr 19 04:13:38 UTC 2014

Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> writes:

[...]

> modinfo | grep box

[...]

vab at bb-c.de (Volker A. Brandt) writes:

> Jim Klimov writes:
>> 18 апреля 2014 г. 17:28:46 CEST, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com>
>> пишет:
>> >A small note on version: It is a total pain in the neck to discover
>> >what version of guest additions is running.  I never did get it
>> >figured out.  I found nifty commands on linux that will show it
>> >(lsmod) but that command is unknown on my OpenIndiana vm.
>
> Because OpenIndiana is not Linux :-)

Hehe ... can't argue there.

>> modinfo | grep box

> Or just:
>
> pkginfo -l SUNWvboxguest

Nicer and nicer ... thank you both.

I will admit my google skills are not the highest... but I did spend
long enough on google to find 4 other posters arrayed over about 10
years who could not find an easy way to learn the version either.

Even that took at least a half hour.

Man page skills not terrific either since I spent a bit of time on
several of the pkg[whatever] cmds looking for the very thing that
Volker B posted.

Seems I always flunk out by not having the super clever search strings
in firefox on google or with the '/' key in man pages.  I become
doubtful of my pea brain when a helpful poster shows a one search hit
that completely satisfies whatever I was asking about in rich depth
and completeness....

And while there is truly a wealth of info available on google, its
shear amount by itself becomes a new problem. It means there are piles
and piles of junk too.  Seems like its getting harder to find stuff to
me.