[OpenIndiana-discuss] Greedy pkg program

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 19:54:48 UTC 2014

On 20 April 2014 08:53, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:

> Did anyone else see such behavior?

Yes, regularly ... I had Firefox, Thunderbird, SQLDeveloper open and
suddenly performance went to sh*t because I was doing an update.

I have 4GB of memory, but pkg was taking over 2GB and the hard disk drive
on this machine is almost useless at swapping, which meant that the update
went on for almost 2 hours ... until I killed off big offenders to reduce
my memory footprint down to below my memory size.

Jon