[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tools for hardware discovery and reporting

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Aug 1 04:37:36 UTC 2014

Marion Hakanson <hakansom at ohsu.edu> writes:

> Anyway, for the purpose you describe, "prtconf -Dv" should do.  Search
> its output for the "mpt" driver and devices.

Thanks for the helpful input.

Just a quick note... the hits I get on a grepping prtconf -Dv output
for 'mpt' are that combination of letters in the word `consumption'
... probably now what I'm after .... hehe.

prtdiag -v looks like its going to be useful until I notice it does
not mention the hdds at all, let alone the empty sata/sas ports.

One of the sections in the ouput of prtdiag -v that looks like the one
that should contain what I'm looking for:

  ==== On-Board Devices =====================================

Is just empty of any info. It's followed by a full report on all the
slots pci pcie pci-x

Maybe I'm reading it wrong... I've inlined it since it is relatively
short:
Any idea why the devices area is blank?
-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

System Configuration: Hewlett-Packard HP xw8600 Workstation
BIOS Configuration: Hewlett-Packard 786F5 v01.46 09/20/2012

==== Processor Sockets ====================================

Version                          Location Tag
-------------------------------- --------------------------
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5470 @ 3.33GHz XU1 PROCESSOR
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5470 @ 3.33GHz XU2 PROCESSOR

==== Memory Device Sockets ================================

Type        Status Set Device Locator      Bank Locator
----------- ------ --- ------------------- ----------------
DDR2 FBDIMM in use 1   DIMM01
DDR2 FBDIMM in use 3   DIMM02
DDR2 FBDIMM in use 1   DIMM03
DDR2 FBDIMM in use 3   DIMM04
DDR2 FBDIMM in use 2   DIMM05
DDR2 FBDIMM in use 4   DIMM06
DDR2 FBDIMM in use 2   DIMM07
DDR2 FBDIMM in use 4   DIMM08
FLASH       in use 0   SYSTEM ROM

==== On-Board Devices =====================================

ID  Status    Type             Description
1   available PCI              SLOT 1 PCI
2   in use    PCI Express      SLOT 2 PCIe x16
3   available PCI Express      SLOT 3 PCIe x8 (4)
4   available PCI Express      SLOT 4 PCIe x16 or x8
3   available PCI Express      SLOT 5 PCIe x1 or x8
3   available PCI Express      SLOT 6 PCIe x8 (4)
5   available PCI-X            SLOT 7 PCI-X 133