[OpenIndiana-discuss] Upgrading to hipster IPS issue

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Sun Aug 3 19:28:08 UTC 2014

Hello.
Unfortunately, direct updates from /dev to /hipster are not supported.
There are several issues
1) /hipster still ships a lot of packages from something like /dev
151a8beta (mostly JDS, X11, java, Sun Studio compiled C++ libraries and
other stuff).
They have  0.151.1.8  release numbers and can't be installed over /dev
a9 versions.
2) Some obsoletions packages have been removed during migration from
/hipster to /hipster-2014.1 repository. New repository
was created so that latest /hipster can be updated to it, so transition
/dev -> /hipster-2014.1 is even less possible.

So, the only supported way for now is clean install from /hipster ISO.
However, you can try to zfs recv /hipster BE into new BE and see how it
comes.

I'm sorry, but the reason for this is that /hipster is more similar to
/dev fork, than to development branch.
Changes are not usually firstly incorporated in /hipster and later
arrive to /dev, but are done sporadically to both /dev and /hipster.
I don't like this, but there are too much differences, so it happens
this way.
In /hipster we don't use and don't want to use legacy consolidations, we
don't use and don't want to use Sun Studio compilers and so on.

However, it's not impossible to arrange repository so that updating from
/dev to /hipster becomes supported. We need to bump all
151.1.8 package versions to something like 151.2.0 (where /dev will
likely never come) or finally rebuild this stuff and look at other rough
ages.
I would be happy to see someone working on this :) I've tried to look at
this after /dev a9 release, but this was not enough.

Mohamed Khalfella писал 03.08.2014 22:04:
> Dears,
>
> I have just switched to hipster and I am getting the below when I tried
> update IO. What can I do to fix this.
>
> root at silver:~# pfexec pkg image-update -v
>
> Creating Plan -
>
> pkg update: No solution was found to satisfy constraints
>
> Plan Creation: Package solver has not found a solution to update to
> latest
> available versions.
>
> This may indicate an overly constrained set of packages are installed.

---
System Administrator of Southern Federal University Computer Cen