[OpenIndiana-discuss] Need help decoding fmd fault/error

Scott LeFevre slefevre at indy.rr.com
Tue Aug 5 13:53:07 UTC 2014

> Do those HBAs have Marvell controllers? I'd heard they behaved
> 'poorly' and they're generally not recommended, but I don't have any
> references to hand.

Yes, the HBAs in question do have Marvell controllers.  As for how they
behave, I really can't complain.  I've used them for three years and
haven't had any issues until very recently.

My situation appears to be that
1) a drive started to fail and I left it running for too long which
affected the HBA
2) a port on the HBA has been failing which caused the drive to fail
3) a combination of the two.

What ever the cause, I have a dead drive and an HBA that won't work with
any drive for more then a few hours before the drive starts to fault.  I
can move that same drive to the mother board SATA controller and it runs
fine.

Since I've gotten my moneys worth out of the HBAs and the drives, I'm
upgrading to a LSI SAS 9207 and (6) Seagate Constellation 3TB ES.2
ST33000650SS drives.  Any known issues with this choice of hardware?

--
Scott LeFevre
317-696-1010