[OpenIndiana-discuss] gdm freezing

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 18:03:17 UTC 2014

Are you saying that you can't uninstall a package because the old publisher is gone?  If true that's an absolutely breathtaking design error.  Quite frankly, that seems improbable for Sun.  Have you looked under /var/pkg?  Unless you cleaned it out, there should be all the information needed to manually remove things.  After all it's getting conflict information from somewhere.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply as I find it hard to believe there's not a simple solution.

FWIW on important systems, I preserve snapshots taken immediately before and after the install so I can revert if needed.  Before ZFS came along, I used "find / -type f -exec md5sum {} \;" to help me back out changes.  This is an old habit from dealing with vendor packages that had to be installed as root and routinely trashed the other applications.  Strangely at $100k+ per user the vendors think they own your system ad can do whatever they want.  With 5 or 6 such applications it gets pretty messy.

Good luck!
Reg