[OpenIndiana-discuss] openindiana and networking on esxi 5.5

Thomas Schweikle tschweikle at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 08:24:52 UTC 2014

Hi!

I'm running Openindiana in an VMware ESXi 5.5 environment.
Now I tried to configure networking as given on (and others)

http://technodrone.blogspot.com/2012/05/openindiana-installation-walkthrough_14.html

Went OK until I came to the networking part. First things went OK too, but ...
I got an address via dhcp, but then:
- I could not reach any other system within this network
- I could not even reach the gateway within this network
- I could ping myself

Network data:
Address: 192.168.18.103/24
GW: 192.168.18.254
DNS: 192.168.18.254

Openindiana reported (VMware E1000-Adapter):
e1000g1: 192.168.18.103,
  Netmask 255.255.255.0,
  Broadcast: 192.168.18.255
  MTU: 1500

Network: 192.168.18.0/24
Def.-Route: 192.168.18.254
DNS: 192.168.18.254

Now trying to ping the router:
ping 192.168.18.254
-> Network unreachable

ping 192.168.18.11
-> Network unreachable

ping 192.168.18.103
-> Success

>From an other host (192.168.18.11):
ping 192.168.18.103
-> no answer

same for VMware's vmxnet-Adapter. It gets its address from dhcp, but
then it is impossible to send or receive anything.

Booting the very same VM with systemrescuecd does not have any
problems sending or receiving network packets (same MAC, same
IP-Address).

Any idea what could have gone wrong or does OpenIndiana have problems
with VMware ESXi 5.5?

--
Thomas