[OpenIndiana-discuss] retrieve individual files from snapshot of vbox virtual disc

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Dec 24 21:36:45 UTC 2014

Build 151_a9
I have the time slider running on a zfs-fs that covers the area where my
virtual box guests live.

I need some files from a gentoo linux guest.

I have snaps of the vms OS v-discs.  How to get an individual file out of
there?

Is there any way to get at the files in that vm virtual disc, or do I
have to make whole new gentoo vm and use the disc as one of that
guests disc.  That is, copy the snapshotted disc to a directory named
appropriately. Then create a new vm which uses that disc instead of
creating a new blank disk.

Has anyone here done something like that?

Before I make a really big mess of things I'd like to hear from
someone with a bit of experience on something like this?

Maybe there is someway to mount it as loop-back mount on
openindiana?.  Its formated as linux ext4