[OpenIndiana-discuss] NFS

John Ryan john.ryan at bsse.ethz.ch
Sat Feb 1 05:02:34 UTC 2014

On 31/01/2014 3:25 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
>> From: Ryan John [mailto:john.ryan at bsse.ethz.ch]
>>
>> Being reliant on NFS myself, I decided to test this. I just updated one test
>> machine from OI_a8 to OI_a9, and another from OI_a7 to OI_a9
>> Both machines give the same results, IE: NFSv3 works okay.
>> My clients are RetHat EL6.
> I wonder what version of nfs ships with rhel/centos6?  If you don't post back, I'll look it up later today and post.  It seems also, I'll have to start questioning if there's simply something wrong with my *individual* system, rather than the distro.  In other words, verify checksum of installation media, repeat on another system...
# yum info nfs-utils
Name        : nfs-utils
Arch        : x86_64
Epoch       : 1
Version     : 1.2.3
Release     : 39.el6

> Also, I wonder if there's a difference between your system and mine, resulting from the fact you did an upgrade, whereas I installed fresh.
>
> Are you using OI desktop, or OI server?   I'm using OI server 151a9...   And I'm using OI desktop 151a7.
I'm also using OI server

>> OpenIndiana (powered by illumos)    SunOS 5.11    oi_151a9    November 2013
>> root@ openindiana:~# zfs create dataPool/nfstest
>> root@ openindiana :~# zfs set sharenfs=on dataPool/nfstest
>> root@ openindiana:~# sharectl set -p server_versmax=3 nfs
> Did you remember to restart nfs server after making that change?
No need to, but yes I did.

However, I also endorse Marcel Telka's comment:
"The simplest way how to start the real root causing of your issue is to
run snoop or tcpdump at either/both NFS client and/or NFS server. All
other approaches might be funny, sometimes successful, but usually not
very productive."
Someone else suggested doing `rpcinfo -p {server}` from your client. -
did you try that?