[OpenIndiana-discuss] No ideas, ANYONE???!! Re: Window manager problems after upgrade to oi_151a9

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Tue Feb 4 19:02:21 UTC 2014

On 04/02/2014 19:04, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> I did try that, and compiz wasn't running and visual effects were off.
>

> On 2014-02-04 18:59, Bryan N Iotti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just an idea:
>>
>> IF your problem might be related to compiz (mine was acting up the other day, will try with latest /hipster update)
>> 	AND
>> IF you can access a terminal (maybe ALT+F2 still works if GNOME isn't totally dead)
>> 	THEN
>> you can try gnome-appearance-properties and that should open the appearance settings, so you can go under that visual effects tab and disable it.
>>
>> Again, just an idea.
>>
>>     Bryan
>>
>> On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 18:26:34 +0100
>> "Hans J. Albertsson" <hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm really out on a limb.
>>>
>>> Help!

As stated in another thread, when you come from a7, you must
reinstall gvfs and gnome-vfs, also repopulate the loaders.cache
for svg - images, see
<https://www.illumos.org/issues/4040> :

as root (won't work with pfexec) :
/usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders >
/usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache

Note also that the Nimbus theme has problems, use
Clearlooks or Blueprint and customize if needed.

Hipster seems to have serious problems with compiz,
don/t use that yet, a9 is mostly fine (apart from
switching between compiz and metacity, which sometimes
freezes).