[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2014 April 8

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 17:09:06 UTC 2014

On 7 February 2014 16:57, Stefan Müller-Wilken <
stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de> wrote:

> But isn't that market already captured by Ubuntu and other Linux
> distributions without _any_ serious hardware restrictions and experienced
> neighborhood kids to help you out? As my DL360 problems show me once again,
> OI can be a beast...
>
> Cheers
>  Stefan

+1

OpenIndiana is gorgeous on the right hardware, for the right usage.  But
that is not entry level/old hardware.

No one in their right mind should give it on a desktop machine to a
"normal" user, we have outdated flash, that crashes on YouTube videos, we
have a limited amount of available applications (mplayer2 from SFE doesn't
currently work, I have trouble with freeciv, inkscape, vlc on OI, we can't
use LibreOffice, and OpenOffice is a struggle to get going) ... as a
Desktop, OI is very much a work in progress.

I'm the only one in my office that uses OI on a bare-metal laptop, I use it
every day, I enjoy using it, but I won't suggest using it to anyone else,
it just wouldn't be fair on them.

Jon