[OpenIndiana-discuss] Low low end server

Robbie Crash sardonic.smiles at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 19:54:26 UTC 2014

For a home job, is there really any reason to use ECC RAM?

Like, real world I mean. Not "Realistically all servers should use ECC RAM
to protect the sanctity of the harmonious existence of all data from
interloping cosmic radiation" or whatever, but real world justification?

With ZFS checksumming, isn't the likelihood of data corruption due to
flipped RAM bits small enough to offset the cost difference for /home/ use?
ZFS was built to handle RAM errors, wasn't it?

I'm running an i3 21020T, 32GB of normal non-ECC RAM, 4WD Green 2TBs and 4
WD Black 1TBs each in RAIDZ, with a pool that I've filled and emptied twice
in the last few years, and aside from when a hdd froze last winter I've had
zero reported errors in my data and the only performance bottleneck is my
network speed.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 1:19 PM, Johan Hertz <jhz.mailgroups at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just setup a Dell PowerEdge T20 using Smart OS  and it works just fine.
> It start at 2199kr (not including VAT) so it is a cheap server too. I went
> for the Xeon E3 processor which is a bit more expensive but you might be ok
> with the cheaper options.
>
> Here's the link
> http://www.dell.com/se/foretag/p/poweredge-t20/pd?~ck=anav
>
> Regards
> Johan
>

> On 2014-02-07 18:55, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
>
>> I have an N40L configured w/ 4 x 2 TB disks and 8 GB of ECC DRAM.  The
>> disks have two partitions each.   A small one for a 4 way mirrored root
>> pool and a large one for data using double parity RAIDZ.  It's a bit of
>> extra work to configure, but works very nicely giving 100+ MB/s disk I/O.
>> (179 MB/s 4 disk RAIDZ1, 109 MB/s RAIDZ2).  An N54L should do better.
>>
>> The trick is to install  OI to a small partition on a single disk.  Then
>> partition the other disks, mirror the root pool, detach the first disk,
>> repartition it and  add it to the mirror.  Then form the RAIDZ on the rest
>> of the disk.  Technically it's not bootable RAIDZ, but it's close enough
>> for me.
>>
>> Have Fun!
>> Reg

>> On Fri, 2/7/14, Hans J. Albertsson <hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se>
>> wrote:
>>
>>   Subject: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Low low end server
>>   To: "Discussion list for OpenIndiana" <openindiana-discuss@
>> openindiana.org>
>>   Date: Friday, February 7, 2014, 10:50 AM
>>     I looked at a HP N54L today: Costs
>>   nothing, but actually handles ECC memory. Albeit very slow
>>   memory, and not very much.
>>     So, would it be reasonable to set this guy up with 4 2TB
>>   SATA disks, 8GB 800MHz ECC memory and run some Illumos based
>>   version with ZFS.
>>     I was thinking of putting two 2.5" small boot disks
>>   (300GB???) using some adapter in the optical drive slot, and
>>   4 2TB disks in a raidz to provide 6TB of storage with medium
>>   availability performance.
>>     Would this work?? Would the performance be good enough to be
>>   a home cloud server for media and/or documents?
>>     Is Nexenta or OmniOS or SMARTOS better or easier to deply
>>   than OpenIndiana for this setup?

Seconds to the drop, but it seems like hours.

http://www.openmedia.ca
https://robbiecrash.me