[OpenIndiana-discuss] Low low end server

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Sun Feb 9 10:48:43 UTC 2014

Jim,

On 2014-02-08 20:02, Jim Klimov wrote:

> 1.The latter (N54L) has an 8-port LSI controller, uses stock BIOS and
What model controller is that?

> 2. does not use stock SATA ports at all,
Why? Are these SATA ports bad or substandard or what? Are you not even
using them for booting?

> 3. has 2*8GB Kingston RAM and
KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G ???

> 4. 4*4TB disks for the data pool (raidz1, though I'd rather have more
> disks and a
> higher redundancy) and
What disk type?
With 8 ports on the LSI controller, I suppose you could add an external
ICY Box for 4 more disks? If you boot from the on-bord SATA ports.

> 5. 2*120Gb Samsung Pro SSDs (with powerloss
> protection, formatted to use 100Gb for mirrored rpool/mirrored
> zil/striped l2arc since their 100Gb sub-model has much higher
> reliability and speed - but is not on sale here). I'd say that the
> L2ARC on this box could use more volume, it (~2*60Gb) fills up
> pretty quickly and does not place a big toll on RAM yet. Disk IO
> performance is pretty decent for a home gigabit LAN, processing
> not so much (i.e. for compilation), although still quite usable :)

The above is a wee bit unclear! Please clarify.