[OpenIndiana-discuss] Virtualbox, OI 151a8 and vboxflt problem

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Thu Feb 13 01:27:02 UTC 2014

On 14-02-12 04:43 PM, Carl Brewer wrote:

> G'day,
> I have a pretty happy OI151a8 server running Virtualbox 4.3.6
>
> It's got 3 guests (2 NetBSD, one CentOS 5).  They mostly just burble
> along, except every now and then (roughly every 7-10 days) they lose
> network connectivity.  The only way I've found to get them online
> again is to shut them down, remove and re-add vboxflt (rem_drv
> vboxflt, reboot OI server, add_drv vboxflt) and restart the guests.
> The host shows no symptoms that I've been able to find, I can ssh into
> it just fine.  It's just the guests that fall off the network.
>
> I'm not sure how best to go about fixing this, as VB isn't really
> supported on OI, we're just kinda lucky it runs.
>
> Any suggestions?  Should I file a bug report with OI/Illuminos? Or
> Oracle?(!).
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Thanks

Hi Carl.

I have a few OI+VBox boxes in production right now and I haven't
experienced any networking failure.  The only part isn't supported is
the crossbow network stack, you need to use the streams version. They
have absolutely been rock solid.

They are all running the 4.2.x version of the software though.

You should file a bug at: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker

Another note:  I had major performance gains using the virtio network
type, instead use the Intel version.  I was only getting 27MBps on the
virtio, but the PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM) got 70MBps using nttcp on
a Windows guest.   I haven't done any performance testing on the Linux
or FreeBSD guests yet.

Geoff