[OpenIndiana-discuss] Three specific N54L microserver related questions. Sort of Re: low low end server...

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Tue Feb 18 11:27:32 UTC 2014

1. Is it really worthwhile to mirror an SSD-based ZIL & L2ARC cache, if
the SSD has proper power loss protection??
     Why: If not I might boot off a USB 3.0 stick (Sandisk Extreme
Cruzer 16GB???) and use a smaller SSD for the caches only.

2. Can the PCIe x4 slot in the N54L be used for anything except the
Remote Access/IPMI card?
     Why: I'd like to add a 2-4 port Gigabit card with server support
properties, w/o blocking the x16 slot. I can manage the distance to the
backplate using short cat 6 cables to RJ45 sockets on a separate backplate.

3. How do you bring the eSATA port, the sixth SATA port, back inside the
enclosure in the neatest manner possible??
     Why: To add a 5th Wd Red 3TB disk for a 12TB raidz1 setup, sitting
in an adapter for the 5.25" space, still running an SSD based cache from
a proper SATA port, also in that same adapter.