[OpenIndiana-discuss] Three specific N54L microserver related questions. Sort of Re: low low end server...

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Tue Feb 18 22:30:55 UTC 2014

So here are my personal opinions about your quesions:

> 1. Is it really worthwhile to mirror an SSD-based ZIL & L2ARC cache, if
> the SSD has proper power loss protection??

No, as others have said.

>      Why: If not I might boot off a USB 3.0 stick (Sandisk Extreme
> Cruzer 16GB???) and use a smaller SSD for the caches only.

There is no USB3 support in the N54L.  A boot stick is too slow and
will wear out if you don't use a system designed to boot off a stick
(like FreeNAS).

> 2. Can the PCIe x4 slot in the N54L be used for anything except the
> Remote Access/IPMI card?

Yes, anything that will work in an x1 slot.  For a quad card, performance
will be better in the x16 slot.

>      Why: I'd like to add a 2-4 port Gigabit card with server support
> properties, w/o blocking the x16 slot. I can manage the distance to the
> backplate using short cat 6 cables to RJ45 sockets on a separate backplate.

Why?  A regular card will fit just fine.  Or do you want to put in
two "normal" cards and a third one behind the x1 card?  This is more
or less mechanically impossible, I would think.

> 3. How do you bring the eSATA port, the sixth SATA port, back inside the
> enclosure in the neatest manner possible??
>      Why: To add a 5th Wd Red 3TB disk for a 12TB raidz1 setup, sitting
> in an adapter for the 5.25" space, still running an SSD based cache from
> a proper SATA port, also in that same adapter.

There are cables with an eSATA connector one one end and an internal
SATA connector on the other end.  You just need to fit the cable through
a slot cover.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt