[OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg and local zones

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Feb 19 11:18:50 UTC 2014

One of nice features about legacy (SVR4) zones was that one could
use pkgadd to install or update packages to the same version in
all installed or running zones.

One of nice features about ipkg zones is that every operating
environment is pretty much individual and changes in one do not
necessarily influence another (except updates to illumos-gate
which require cloning and update).

However, every now and then I need to install some package into
all zones. While I can parse the "zoneadm list" output and find
zoneroots and ask pkg(5) to install into the altroots, it is a
bit clunky, so I wonder if I missed some option to just have the
pkg(5) program itself install the named package into all available
local zones?

If not, does this sound like a worthwhile RFE for those who can
do and don't know what to do next? :^)

Thanks,
//Jim Klimov