[OpenIndiana-discuss] Getting zpool corruption in an OI Smartos KVM Guest

Karl Rossing karl.rossing at barobinson.com
Mon Feb 24 16:10:12 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm seeing corruption of data in my dpool on 3 OI Smartos KVM Guests. I
suspect that if a look some more I will find more corruption on other
servers.

This is what I'm seeing:

   pool: dpool-broken
  state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
         corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
         entire pool from backup.
    see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
   scan: scrub repaired 17.5M in 10h5m with 84534 errors on Fri Feb 21
01:17:28 2014
config:

         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         dpool-broken  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c4d1      ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: 148362 data errors, use '-v' for a list

I see the corruption on oi151a7 zvols.
Happens on nfs home directories.
Also happens on directories shared via samba.
Happens with compression turned off or turned on.
pool is using ide drive (vioblk isn't supported until oi151a9)
pool is using the defaults.
pool is not mirrored since I thought it would be safe because the
Smartos zones pool is mirrored.
I see corrupted snapshots
I see corrupted files
The guests are on 3 different servers.
One server is on different hardware.
The SmartOS host(s) shows no errors on the zones pool.

Some of the corrupted data hasn't been read for a couple of months. I'm
wondering how that can suddenly become corrupted?

Karl

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This communication (including all attachments) is
confidential and is intended for the use of the named addressee(s) only and
may contain information that is private, confidential, privileged, and
exempt from disclosure under law.  All rights to privilege are expressly
claimed and reserved and are not waived.  Any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying or disclosure of this message and any attachments, in
whole or in part, by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify
the sender immediately, delete this communication from all data storage
devices and destroy all hard copies.