[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS pool layout - request for opinion

Stefan Müller-Wilken stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de
Wed Feb 26 08:06:15 UTC 2014

Dear all,

one thing I stumble over again and again is ZFS pool layout for 6 disk servers (e.g. 1 HU ProLiants) . What I do so far is reserving disk 1 & 2 for the rpool mirror and put disks 3 - 6 into a RAIDZ-1 data pool. I don't really like this layout as it means wasting a lot of space on the rpool while having only minimal redundancy for data. What do others do to combine space efficiency with bootability and redundancy?

Cheers
 Stefan