[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS pool layout - request for opinion

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 27 14:59:01 UTC 2014

I suggest you partition the disks with a small (10-20 GB?) partition (slice to some) for rpool and the rest of the disk in another partition.  Mirror the rpools and build a RAIDZ2 on the big partition.  You'll get  more usable space and two disk failure tolerance.

If you *really* want to be efficient with 6 disks, use  a three way rpool mirror and make a RAIDZ1 for log files using the other 3 partitions.  Single disk failure tolerance on everything and two disk tolerance on the critical bits.

It may not be "bootable RAIDZ" but it's close enough in my book.  It gets the job done w/ minimum effort and good failure tolerance for the cost.  True bootable RAIDZ would not look much different from an operations perspective.  In fact, it might be more complicated.  The really nice thing about partitioning the disk like this is how simple it is to set up.