[OpenIndiana-discuss] Expanding storage with JBOD

David Scharbach david.scharbach at mac.com
Thu Jan 2 18:53:52 UTC 2014

Supermicro may bit a bit overkill for the home server :)  Although I have considered it for myself at home…  We used them where I used to work and they are pretty nice for the money.

For myself, I opted to go with the Norco 4220, a Tyan MB with an integral LSI-2008 based HBA, LSI based intel SAS expander card, 16GB of ECC, a low end xeon and 13 3TB cheap seagate HDDs.  This setup allows for 20 hot swap bays connected to the SAS card, 2 2.5” SSDs connected to the MB via SATA for cache/zil and a slim optical drive with a spare SAS channel that I could use to connect to an external JBOD enclosure if needed.  My drives have seen a maximum temp of 39C and that is when doing a full scrub with the server in my utility room in winter (furnace is on, heats the room up).

I agree that cheap HDDs suck, I have returned 3 of them in a little over a year but ZFS and SMART are awesome at detecting early troubles.  Just had another bark at me for uncorrectable sector errors.  Resilvering my RaidZ2 production array does take a long time, but I have a RaidZ1 backup array so I would have to lose 5 of 13 drives at the same time to affect all my data.  Nice part is I can still add 7 more drives to the case if needed.

I would stay away from Adaptec only because I have had a number of issues with compatibility with my Adaptec 5805 card.  Great product, limited support for some systems.  I have been using the LSI HBA products for a while now and they seem to work very well and are typically a cheaper option with excellent OS support.  The combo of a SAS-2008 HBA and expander gives you a total of 6 useable SAS channels.

Cheers,

Dave