[OpenIndiana-discuss] Expanding storage with JBOD

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 12:27:52 UTC 2014

On 1/3/14, 12:13 PM, Roman Naumenko wrote:
> Saso Kiselkov said the following, on 03-01-14 5:47 AM:
>> So you'd rather pay $650 instead of $400 for the exact same 10TB
>> instead? (i.e. 10x1TB ($65) vs. 5x2TB ($80)) Why are you so heavily
>> focused on the number of spindles vs capacity?
> Well, theoretically if 1TB works I don't see the reason why 2TB wouldn't.
Because they're much more expensive on a $/GB basis than equivalent
3.5'' drives (and much slower). Also, you can get 4TB 3.5'' drives
today, whereas 2.5'' maxes out at half that.

>> Also, the IcyBox I recommended to you is a tiny thing you can run on
>> your desk or stick underneath a staircase out of sight. The MSA50, on
>> the other hand, is a huge rack-mounted hunk of loud fans. Not least of
>> all it's gonna cost you a lot more over time if you factor in
>> electricity costs (http://dft.ba/-7EzE).
> Power is 200W, I can live with that.

200W running for 8760 hours (1 year) comes to around $200 (at
$0.12/kWh). That IcyBox consumes less than 1/4 of that, so if you're
examining your finances so carefully, factor in an extra $300 over 2
years you'll spend on the MSA50.

>> I just don't get this obsession of yours with datacenter-grade hardware.
> Expandable and works.
And a small box with a power supply and pass-through connectors somehow
doesn't work? You know you can get SFF-8088 to individual SATA/SAS
fanout cables, right? And once you stuff the HP MSA50 full of 1TB hard
drives, it's not expandable anymore. And if you're going to be replacing
hard drives in the MSA50, you can do the same in the IcyBox.

> Nothing with SFF-8088 comes even close with the
> price (plus all those brand-new jbods in the price range 1000-2000 - is
> utterly junk).
This is used outdated 3G SAS kit you're showing, so it's pretty clear
it'd be much cheaper.

Overall I think you're trying to save money on entirely the wrong
things. Get a few good high-capacity disks and a low-power enclosure and
don't worry about buying a SAS HBA (or if you do, buy one which doesn't
limit you to 2TB per drive).

--
Saso