[OpenIndiana-discuss] Expanding storage with JBOD

Laurent Blume laurent+oi at elanor.org
Fri Jan 3 15:10:21 UTC 2014

Le 2014/01/03 16:02 +0100, Roman Naumenko a écrit:
> Power is 200W, I can live with that.

I'll be pedantic on this point, as I've researched it for my own little
home NAS and checked with a power meter :-)
200W is the *max* power rating. The enclosure itself, with its couple of
LEDs and fans, will use about nothing. The actual use depends on the
disks, and for a modern 3.5" disk, is about ~10w (specs for my Seagates
say around 13, IIRC). My 8-disk enclosure uses about 70-80w, depending
on the level of use.
So buying a noisy HP or a silent IcyBox will just consume the same
amount of electricity if they're fitted with the same disks inside.

My 0,02€,

Laurent