[OpenIndiana-discuss] sd.conf trouble and illumos bug #3220

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 00:10:58 UTC 2014

I can't comment on your particular issue which is why I didn't respond earlier.  However,  I had trouble getting a 3 TB Toshiba USB drive to work properly.  I spent a bunch of time reading the code that parses sd.conf, but finally gave up and didn't go further.

On reflection I wonder if the problem is a failure to propagate the information about block size to ZFS correctly under certain circumstances.  I think it would be nice if one could force ashift when creating a pool.  Automagic is nice, but there's often no substitute for human intelligence.  I spent a couple of days trying to persuade OI to create a properly aligned pool before I gave up.