[OpenIndiana-discuss] sd.conf trouble and illumos bug #3220

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 20:49:53 UTC 2014

Sadly yahoo mail makes a mess of replies embedded in the text :-(

I'll have to try the 3 TB USB drive again.  I certainly can't see any reason that your wildcarding scheme shouldn't work.  If there is a problem it's probably a bug.

There are so many lies being told about geometry that it's hard to say what you should do.  At one point I wound up with a partition that was not 4k aligned if I started with cylinder #1, so I used #2 which was 4k aligned.  However, the 2k aligned partition seemed to work OK, so I'm not certain.  I wasn't willing to leave it that way to avoid wasting a little space.

I can't think of any reason that 512B drives wouldn't work fine aligned to larger boundaries.   The only consequence I can see is some wasted space which really isn't an issue given we're talking pennies per GB.  I can't imagine a performance issue that could result.

It seems to me that the default alignment rules would give less trouble if the alignment was to the most restrictive requirement.