[OpenIndiana-discuss] Expanding storage with JBOD

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Wed Jan 8 15:52:27 UTC 2014

Thanks for pointing that out.  Interestingly, the product I was looking at was the Sans Digital ES104T, which is just a chassis power supply, and four ESATA pass-thru cables going to the individual drives.

I know ZFS works fine with SATA in general, as long as there isn't some junky SATA chip or driver in the mix.  So the flakiness you described might be on a different product, or it might be introduced by the SATA multiplier in that system.  The aforementioned ES104T, I would have absolute faith in, because it's literally brainless.   ;-)   And hence comes with the disadvantage of requiring the 4 separate cables.