[OpenIndiana-discuss] worspace switcher preferences

Marc Lobelle marc.lobelle at uclouvain.be
Wed Jan 8 21:54:51 UTC 2014

On 07/01/14 21:16, Tim Mooney wrote:

>> Hi,
>> the workspace switcher prefs are available via gconf-editor
>>
>> apps/panel/profiles/default/applets/workspace-switcher/prefs
>>
>> Because the number and names of the workspaces is a function
>> of the window manager, not the applet that just displays them,
>> those prefs have to be set via gconf-editor
>>
>> apps/metacity/general
>> apps/metacity/workspace_names
>
> My understanding from the responses to when I asked this question back
> in October was that metacity is only the window manager when the system
> doesn't have the hardware to run compiz (or you've specifically disabled
> compiz).
>
> See:
>
>     http://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2013-October/014003.html
>

> and the follow-up responses.
>
> Using the information provided by Jonathan & Alan in that thread, I was
> able to set my oi151a8 to have 8 workspaces, since it was indeed
> compiz that's
> being used on my hardware.
>
> I'm still haven't figured out how to *name* the workspaces, but at least
> I have the number that I want.
>
> Tim
Thanks Tim passing Alan's recommendation. Indeed running the command
ccsm (CompizConfigSettingsManager)  (General/general options/rightmost
tag: "desktop size") allowed me to set up 6 workspaces in two rows.
However, I cannot any more drag and drop windows from workspace to
workspace in the Applet.

Does anybody know how to reactivate that feature ?

Fortunately it is still possible to move windows by draging them in the
big workspaces.

Marc