[OpenIndiana-discuss] sparc support

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Thu Jan 23 22:09:08 UTC 2014

> On 1/23/14, 1:41 AM, Ben Taylor wrote:
> > I am looking at decom'ing some sparc hardware in Chicago, and have found
> > someone willing to host the hardware out there, on the agreement that
> > someone is going to actively use the hardware for the sparc port.  Any
> > volunteers?
>
> We've had this discussion on the Illumos side about a year ago. The
> hardware wasn't the issue. It was the volunteers (save for a single
> brave soul, nobody wanted to deal with it).

...which is not quite how I remember it; several people including me
offered hardware, hosting, and porting help.  There were long and
emotional discussions, yes; and ultimately nothing came of it.
But it was definitely more than one person, and there still is
some interest as can be seen by the continued use of Martin Bochnig's
OpenSXCE.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim                     Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J. H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt