[OpenIndiana-discuss] recommendations for updating to 151a9

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Fri Jan 24 19:08:39 UTC 2014

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] recommendations for updating to...:

>> 	- should I just remove all of them before I do an update?
>> 	- will the fact that sfe and sfe-encumbered are now non-sticky mean
>> 	  that the updates that come from /dev will leave sfe packages on the
>> 	  system, but in a broken state?  Or, will the update automatically
>> 	  remove stuff from sfe/sfe-encumbered if their dependencies are no
>> 	  longer met?
>
> Because I am responsible for both, JDS and SFE, I can say that it should not
> be problem to keep sfe and sfe-encumbered as non-sticky. The update will
> replace older SFE packages with newer JDS (it is system/library/orc which was
> added to JDS in a9).

Hi Milan!

I did update my desktop workstation to 151a9 yesterday, after making
the changes to make sfe and sfe-encumbered non-sticky.  The update went
well and I haven't noticed any problems since updating.

In addition, while browsing sfe-encumbered yesterday, I noticed that in
November you added the package gnome/media/gnome-media-extras that I had
asked for a few months ago, to get some of the gstreamer-plugins-bad and
gstreamer-plugins-ugly into OI.  I had to use gstreamer-properties to
select the output device on my workstation, but now that
gnome/media/gnome-media-extras is installed, rhythmbox can play a lot
more formats, including mp3s.

I spent the afternoon yesterday listening to streaming radio and parts of
my music collection, and I have you to thank for it.  :-)

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)