[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 1.8 /dev: need help (missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress')

Predrag Zecevic predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Sun Jan 26 12:40:39 UTC 2014

Hi all,

recently I saw announcement of OI 1.9 and decided to move my /dev from
(latest) 1.8 to 1.9. But before, I have enabled lz4 compression on few
FS (not sure how many, see below why).

Now, I cannot boot anymore:

a) attempt to boot ends to 'grub>' prompt and stops there (scrolling on
screen goes very fast, cannot read any message displayed before)

b) booting from latest USB image
(http://dlc-origin.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/OI-hipster-gui-20140124.usb)
displays typical screen, and after choosing installation (edited by
adding '-v' switch), I get message:

---8<---
kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -B livemode=vesa -v
missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress'
missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress'
missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress'
missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress'

Error 17: cannot mount selected partition
---8<---

I have found explanation here (that is why I have tried to boot /hipster):
http://wiki.illumos.org/plugins/viewsource/viewpagesrc.action?pageId=1148479

But, I am not sure HOW is possible to have this problem, since this
change dates back to one year ago (https://www.illumos.org/issues/3035).

Only issue I can think of is upgrade from 1.7 to 1.8 (that PC wasn't
installation from scratch).

Any idea how to proceed further?

--
Predrag Zecevic, Technical Support Analyst, 2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                      65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!