[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 1.8 /dev: need help (missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress')

Predrag Zecevic [Unix Systems Administrator] predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Mon Jan 27 09:55:29 UTC 2014

Hi,

that is what I have exactly tried to do (used
OI-hipster-gui-20140124.usb latest one for boot).

System doesn't start to boot at all. Stops at that "Error 17" and I can
just 'press any key to continue' which start whole process again (and
ends with same error again).

Thank you.

On 01/27/14 10:50 AM, Jonathan Adams wrote:
> You might need to get a newer bootable ISO of Illumos (that has lz4
> support), boot your system, zpool import your root pool, and re-install the
> grub from the /boot partition on that drive.
>
> when you upgraded your root pool you hadn't got the lz4 modules installed
> in your grub.
>
> Jon
>

> On 26 January 2014 12:40, Predrag Zecevic <predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> recently I saw announcement of OI 1.9 and decided to move my /dev from
>> (latest) 1.8 to 1.9. But before, I have enabled lz4 compression on few
>> FS (not sure how many, see below why).
>>
>> Now, I cannot boot anymore:
>>
>> a) attempt to boot ends to 'grub>' prompt and stops there (scrolling on
>> screen goes very fast, cannot read any message displayed before)
>>
>> b) booting from latest USB image
>> (
>> http://dlc-origin.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/OI-hipster-gui-20140124.usb
>> )
>> displays typical screen, and after choosing installation (edited by
>> adding '-v' switch), I get message:
>>
>> ---8<---
>> kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -B livemode=vesa -v
>> missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress'
>> missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress'
>> missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress'
>> missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress'
>>
>> Error 17: cannot mount selected partition
>> ---8<---
>>
>> I have found explanation here (that is why I have tried to boot /hipster):
>>
>> http://wiki.illumos.org/plugins/viewsource/viewpagesrc.action?pageId=1148479
>>
>> But, I am not sure HOW is possible to have this problem, since this
>> change dates back to one year ago (https://www.illumos.org/issues/3035).
>>
>> Only issue I can think of is upgrade from 1.7 to 1.8 (that PC wasn't
>> installation from scratch).
>>
>> Any idea how to proceed further?
>>
>> --
>> Predrag Zecevic, Technical Support Analyst, 2e Systems GmbH
>>
>> Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
>> Mobile:    +49 174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
>> E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
>>
>> Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
>>                        65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
>> Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
>> Managing director:    Phil Douglas
>>
>> http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!

Predrag Zečević, Technical Support Analyst, 2e Systems GmbH

E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!

It's useless to try to hold some people to anything they say while
they're madly in love, drunk, or running for office.