[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 1.8 /dev: need help (missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress')

Predrag Zecevic [Unix Systems Administrator] predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Mon Jan 27 10:02:43 UTC 2014

On 01/27/14 11:00 AM, Saso Kiselkov wrote:
> On 1/26/14, 12:40 PM, Predrag Zecevic wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> recently I saw announcement of OI 1.9 and decided to move my /dev from
>> (latest) 1.8 to 1.9. But before, I have enabled lz4 compression on few
>> FS (not sure how many, see below why).
>>
>> Now, I cannot boot anymore:
>>
>> a) attempt to boot ends to 'grub>' prompt and stops there (scrolling on
>> screen goes very fast, cannot read any message displayed before)
>>
>> b) booting from latest USB image
>> (http://dlc-origin.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/OI-hipster-gui-20140124.usb)
>> displays typical screen, and after choosing installation (edited by
>> adding '-v' switch), I get message:
>>
>> ---8<---
>> kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -B livemode=vesa -v
>> missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress'
>> missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress'
>> missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress'
>> missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress'
>>
>> Error 17: cannot mount selected partition
>> ---8<---
>
> This won't work, because the ISO simply hops to your disk GRUB, which is
> what's not working in the first place. You need to boot the ISO, select
> the shell and then use installgrub to update the stage1/2 files on the
> boot drive(s).
>
> Cheers,

Hi,

but I have tried to boot from USB (didn't tried DVD yet, will try later
today). That boot fails.

Regards.
--
Predrag Zečević, Technical Support Analyst, 2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!

Flugg's Law: When you need to knock on wood is when you realize that the
world is composed of vinyl, naugahyde and aluminum.