[OpenIndiana-discuss] Comstar iSCSI disconnect on 151a8

wim at vandenberge.us wim at vandenberge.us
Mon Jan 27 16:09:38 UTC 2014

Good morning,

We have two high capacity OpenIndiana 151a8 iSCSI servers in production (besides
many 151a7's), The two a8 systems are displaying an annoying but repeatable
issue. every 7 or 8 days, Comstar will completely stop responding. From the
network side it looks like the iSCSI targets have disappeared. On the a8 boxes
everything reports perfectly except that there is not iSCSI traffic anymore. The
systems are responsive for all other services and the kernel SMB and NFS remains
up and running.

Restarting the iSCSI target service (svc:/network/iscsi/target:default) has no
effect, as a matter of fact, only a reboot of the system will get me back the
iSCSI targets. At the same time we have a7 servers on almost identical hardware
that perform like a champ on much heavier workloads. The only difference between
the a7 and a8 systems (and the reason we switched) is that the two a8 servers
have LSI2308 controllers on the motherboard which are not supported in a7 but
these are used for the boot disks only. All other storage is attached to
LSI92xx-8e HBA's.

Does anyone have any ideas how to zero in on the cause of this issue, or has
anyone seen similar behavior?