[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] Boot hangs.

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 05:17:37 UTC 2014

On 07/ 4/14 10:40 PM, DormitionSkete at hotmail.com wrote:

>> This machine only has two SAS drives, and I believe I have a RAID1 mirror in this machine.  Unfortunately, they are not hot-swapable drives.  It’s an old Dell SC1430.
>>
>> Would it be a bad idea if I were to disconnect one of these drives and try rebooting, and if that didn’t work, to reconnect that drive, and disconnect the other, and try rebooting again?
>>
>> The RAID controller does not report anything when the machine boots.
>>
>> I have not tried to go directly into the RAID controller interface yet.  I just thought of it.
Try removing USB keyboard/other USB device and/or turning USB off on server.

If there is hardware RAID that is used, then ZFS can not on-the-fly fix
on-disk checksum problems, disks should be represented to ZFS as JBOD
and maybe that is something raid controller does not let you to do?
(Maybe 2 single-disk raid0, so zfs can get 2 devices to manage). Adding
second zfs system device is done after install on one disk.
> Could you provide all output from dmesg and all output from svcs -xv?
>
> Alex
See also what are CPU temps and also Power supply failures could lead to
many interesting problems that could not be self-explanatory without
changing parts.

With OI and illumos distros on ZFS, one have multiple Boot Environments
(BE's) so you might check if some previous BE's from Boot menu can boot
(What OI and illumos release you use, anyway?)

One way or another, it smells like hardware failure of some kind and
(supposedly one uses ECC RAM) disk configuration should be check if it
is optimal for zfs. And also post additional info asked from Alex.