[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2x Xeon XS8600

Murray Murman themurman01 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 12:42:24 UTC 2014

Harry:

Blue SATA is default SATA boot, grey SAS is default SAS boot. SAS because
of the LSI 1068E controller limitations will only support to 2 TB, but will
support raw drive access if raid is not configured. I have not had any luck
getting the red SATA ports to work on my multiple 8400s with OI.

I expect you should be able to run 12 drives total on that box in OI with
ZFS.

People will warn you about running SATA drives on SAS. My gut from my
experience at home is that for light loads at home, you will be ok if
directly connected to a controller port, much as you have here. But hey, I
also run ZFS on a VDEV that's all USB2 enclosures, so your mileage might
vary.