[OpenIndiana-discuss] Formating tricks

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 16:43:35 UTC 2014

I'm assuming you want to use Microsoft disk partitions for non-Solaris uses.

Use fdisk to create the partitions you want interavtively

use format to create slices in the Solaris partition interactively

then use zpool to create the mirror

Both fdisk and format have reasonably good help information when run interactively.  Obviously don't expect to preserve data on the disk doing this.

FWIW on my backup server I selected 100% solaris in fdisk and then created 2 slices, s0 and s1, with format.  The s0 slice is 100 GB for a mirrored rpool and the rest of the disk (~1.9 TB) in s1 is used for a RAIDZ pool.

Reg