[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2x Xeon XS8600

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Jul 19 20:36:03 UTC 2014

> Those pics make me wonder where you are going to put all those hard drives
> (and if duct tape will be involved).  I see only 2 spots meant for them
> that are empty.

Hey hey... I hadn't thought of duct tape.. but something pretty
similar. I had hoped that largish empty space below the drives could
be made to hold drives.

I hope you are not right and I can only have 6 drives at once.  2 are
cdroms but of course that can be altered.

Do you think there is any hope for the space below the drives being
fitted out to hold drives?  Looks like at least another 4 could fit
there.

> The system does have the indications of supporting IDE.  I've never tried
> IDE drives in OI, so someone else will have to speak for that.

As it turns out, I have actually run opensolaris (before there was an
openindiana) on IDE drives... and is the reason I still have
them... but that was quite a while back.

I have a hunch there might be problems involving which receptacle is
the system drive or similar.  Or will OI even care about that?

One of my biggest problems is that I have run opensolaris or some
branch of solaris for a good long while.... however it is broken up
with very large periods in between.  Seems like when I start back
fiddling with OI, I've forgotten all I ever learned the time before.

These newsgoups have carried me many times for that reason.  Some may
even consider me quite a pest here.