[OpenIndiana-discuss] booting HP xw8600 from ISO

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Jul 23 17:44:05 UTC 2014

Ed <microcomputers at gmx.us> writes:

> On 07/22/14 10:38, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>   But is there any reason to prefer one of the
>> settings that work over the other.
>>
>> Either:
>>    Separate IDE Controller–offers standard SATA supports (four ports
>>    only).
>> (The one I used)
>>
>> Or:
>>    Combined IDE Controller–makes the SATA controller look like an IDE
>>    controller and offers best IDE compatibility (two ports only).
>>
>> For example: Does the second one above leave more usable sata ports?
>
>       Hello,
>       it's for a xw8600 desktop, however, it can probably be used as a
> guideline: read 'BIOS' and 'General Notes'
> http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/hcl/data/systems/details/hewlett-packard/sol_10_05_08/3409.html

son of a gun! All spelled out in iambic pentometer... and me searching
high and low for advice.

Thanks... that will be good to stuff into my collection of things
solaris.

But, still it doesn't really say which is better.  I guess by
mentioning only 1 ... then I am to take it that is the preferred method.