[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI: how to play webm video (e.g which player to use?)

Predrag Zecevic [Unix Systems Administrator] Predrag.Zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Thu Jul 24 06:26:23 UTC 2014

On 07/23/14 06:15 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 07/23/2014 19:04, Predrag Zecevic [Unix Systems Administrator] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i am faced with problem of playing webm video on OI (currently
>> /hipster-2014.1)
>>
>> I CAN do it with firefox (it plays, but it hiccups - not really smooth
>> playback is possible, either from file or from http)
>>

>> I have tried 'totem' and got :
>>
>> ** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|0.10|totem|VP8
>> decoder|decoder-video/x-vp8 (VP8 decoder)
>> ** Message: Automatic missing codec installation not supported (helper
>> script missing)
>>

> Hello.
> Could you send sample link so that I can check and perhaps one day look at it? :)

Hi Alexander,

I have found some old thread in this group suggesting:

pfexec pkg install -v gnome/media/gnome-media-extras

And that have installed gst vp8 plugin (so, at least totem works).

Also, firefox play problem depends on size of movie.
I did few tests and found that smaller resolution files are played fine.

Will try to find example which demonstrates problems.

Regards.

--
Predrag Zečević, Technical Support Analyst, 2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!

We will have solar energy as soon as the utility companies solve one technical problem -- how to run a sunbeam through a meter.