[OpenIndiana-discuss] Root access to home directories

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Jun 3 17:35:28 UTC 2014

3 июня 2014 г. 19:26:05 CEST, david boutcher <davidboutcher at me.com> пишет:
>The other day my hard disk became completely full due to a home
>directory with some massive files.
>
>This caused the server to fail to boot properly and only allowed me
>into maintenance mode as root
>
>I was unable to navigate to the home directories as root to delete
>stuff. How could I achieve this?
>

>David

Were you unable to navigate (cd) or delete (rm)?
It seems like you have a case of single-pool machine, and the rpool has overflowed. You likely have regular auto-snapshots, so deleting files from live datasets does not really free up space - to the extent that zfs refuses to borrow some bits from space it has system-reserved anyway in order to mark blocks from the deleted files as last-referred by a snapshot. And so 'rm' fails even as root.
Does this guess match? ;)

Kill a snapshot and further deletions should then proceed well, although won't free up space until you remove snapshots that reference the deleted data.

Other failure to delete may be to read-only and/or ocerlay mounts, attempts to delete from snapshot (directory representation), immutable file/dir attribute, access over nfs to a host that does not trust you as root and maps to nobody. These are the most likely secondary reasons...

Hth,
Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android