[OpenIndiana-discuss] Case sensitivity "mixed" vs "sensitive"

Cal Sawyer cal-s at blue-bolt.com
Fri Jun 6 11:52:04 UTC 2014

Hello

Our 151a8 server is an rsnapshot collector using rsync.  Since setting
it up a few weeks ago, i've been noting flurries of file creation errors
in the sync logs. It's taken days to figure this out owing to the large
amounts of data we're transferring, but it's boiling down to case
sensitivity

I created the dataset with the default setting;
"casesensitivity=sensitive".  For reasons i don't understand this
results in a dataset that, for directories, is case insensitive

eg:  *on the local filesytem*

# touch a
# touch A
(ok, so far so good ...)

# mkdir b
# mkdir B
mkdir: cannot create directory `B': File exists

I created a new dataset with casesensitivity=mixed and this doesn't
occur.  Case sensitivity is correctly preserved for files, dirs and links

Q:  Why is "sensitive" insensitive for directories?

thanks

- cal