[OpenIndiana-discuss] Samba "Proxy"

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 09:45:57 UTC 2014

Not expecting anyone to have done such a crazy thing, but hoping someone
has any ideas.

Reason:

We bought a company (part of a company) and we're migrating the users away
from their old servers

We're getting the data transferred, but their IT dept says it will take 5
days ... and they need to see this data in read-only format during the
transition

We were hoping to proxy it through our servers, we've set up a private
network so that our users are separate from their users ... their IT is
sh*t ... they have 50 servers sitting in racks with 2/3rds of them turned
off and no labels and they just let us walk into their server room with no
supervision to set up our kit ... if anyone tried this with my kit I'd
castrate them

Solution 1:

we "mount -F smbfs" the file system from their server
(gid/dirperms/fileperms set appropriately) and can access it happily
through our servers at the prompt and in the file manager windows ...

We set up samba to share out the mount point ...

at this point I get problems ...

When I go to connect from the windows box I get an "Invalid status" message.

When I try to smbclient from the server to the share I get a strange issue:

jadams at jadlaptop:~$ smbclient \\\\10.31.0.3\\old_emg
Enter jadams's password:
Domain=[HUDDOM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.5]
smb: \> ls
NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER listing \*
ls /smb: \> ls /
  .                                  DR        0  Tue Mar 25 09:48:49 2014
  ..                                 DR        0  Tue Jun 10 10:27:02 2014

I can't list *, but I can list /

I can get files happily, but I can't see them ...

I thought it might be something to do with the windows server, so I "mount
-F smbfs" a unix samba and then tried to re-share the filesystem and I got
the same issues ...

does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Jon