[OpenIndiana-discuss] [OT Vbox vm - oi] How can I create HDD at different address

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Mar 21 20:45:58 UTC 2014

I hope not to be boring folks to death with my mixed up questions that
are about OI but in a particular place as vm guest running oi on
Windows 7

I'd like to use my virtualbox GUI to create hdd, which are then
available to OI.

That is very easy and no problem at all.

However, I'd like to create them at a different address than
VirtualBox  has defined as the Default directory to hold all HDD.

I'm not sure if this is even possible but I've seen discussion on the
VB newsgroups that such a thing can be done by discording the disc
Using the OS, and then just moving it to wherever you want and import
it back in.

I don't see a way to do it, but I'm told it is possible

My question here is how to discard a disc, so that its assigned serial
number is not registered with the OS.

If I create a hdd the normal way, it then appears next time I boot OI
and can be seen with format.

So from that point how would I disown the hdd so when I try to import
it later (in the gui of VB) and then into OI, it is not seen as a
duplicate serial number and disc?

I've already tried just copying one of the discs to a new address but
when I try to pull it in, VBox says its an Identical Serial number an
allows me to go no farther.