[OpenIndiana-discuss] NAS R/W performance puzzle

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 19:03:16 UTC 2014

My apologies, I thought the references to /dev/zero, /dev/null and bs=65536 made it clear I was using dd.

I increased the file size to 65 GB and reran the tests.  It turns out  the read operation wall time can vary by several minutes.  For the 6.5 GB test that makes the thoughput rather low.  On the 65 GB tests I got  42-59 MB/s read for 10 trials.  This  is pretty much what I expect from gigabit using a cheap SOHO switch w/ no other traffic.

In summary, the N40L is giving me wire speed NFS R/W from a 4 disk RAIDZ2  pool for ~$0.25/GB.  Quite satisfactory.  The anomaly was an artifact of small file and sample size.

Sorry about the unnecessary noise.

Reg