[OpenIndiana-discuss] Using large (3-4 TB) USB disks for backups

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 17:41:39 UTC 2014

A bit more data. I concluded after my initial, rather lengthy attempt at getting this to work that there was some hardware specific issue that resulted in not being able to set un_phy_blocksize=0x1000 & ashift=12.  I'd be delighted if that were not the case, but happy to buy a "known to work" disk.  So I'm looking for an HGST disk per previous post.  Other suggestions welcome.

# cfgadm -v -c unconfigure usb9/3
Unconfigure the device: /devices/pci at 0,0/pci10de,cb79 at 4,1:3
This operation will suspend activity on the USB device
Continue (yes/no)? yes
cfgadm: Hardware specific failure: Cannot issue devctl to ap_id: /devices/pci at 0,0/pci10de,cb79 at 4,1:3
# cfgadm -v -c disconnect usb9/3
Disconnect the device: /devices/pci at 0,0/pci10de,cb79 at 4,1:3