[OpenIndiana-discuss] Any hardware snafus in this lineup?

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Mar 26 23:57:55 UTC 2014

Philip Robar <philip.robar at gmail.com> writes:

> I forgot one thing. The Avoton boards have not been tested with Solaris,
> OpenIndiana or any of its derivates. Lots of people are asking about them
> for this use, but no results yet that I know of yet.

I don't really have any comment on Avoton.

I mainly wanted to give you a belated very deeply felt thank you for
what is probably the most in depth coverage of this kind of topic I've
ever seen.

I suppose if I hung with the heavy hitters, I might have, but the
detail and depth of coverage was very gracious of your time and
effort.

You've laid out so many things to think about I'm a little overwhelmed
but conversely... I can't really think of a better way or source to
ease my confusing steps thru this sort of stuff.

As it happens, I'm now in the throws of closing on property which will
be my new home and so have plenty on my hands.

I'm not in a teriffic hurry to get this server built so do have the
time to go thru your thorough coverage with much better legup than I
had at starting.

A serious piece of reference to have in my mind as watch for equipment
for the server.

Oh, and about not knowing where I came up with $700+ statement... I'm
sure I must have slipped over into the highend stuff thinking I was still
following your suggestions... so best to just ignore it as a blunder.

I'm seroiusly skill and knowledge challenged in this field.  I'm
retired from life as a field construction Boilermaker... high pressure
welder, high rigger etc etc ending with lots of sledge hammer swinging
to go with it, so a tad bit out of my depth here.

So once more, thank you for providing serious wealth of information.