[OpenIndiana-discuss] Recovering from power loss on USB ZFS pool?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 18:28:48 UTC 2014

What's the correct way to recover from loss of power to a USB disk based pool?

I cleverly unplugged the wrong wall wart from the power strip behind my monitor and dropped power to a USB disk that was being written to.  The system stayed up, but any attempt to restart or kill the write operation failed and attempts  to query the status of the pool hung.  I tried to restart the system, but that hung also and ultimately I forced the system down w/ the power switch.  It rebooted w/o any problems.

The  SATA drive scrubs showed they were  OK.  The USB scrub is still running, but the pool seemed OK after the reboot.

Surely there is a better way to recover from such things than just killing the power.  google didn't seem to have any suggestions so I thought I'd ask here.