[OpenIndiana-discuss] Recovering from power loss on USB ZFS pool?

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 28 15:31:36 UTC 2014

In my experience, one USB stick usually works OK.
Multiple USB sticks all accessed together, and you usually find the
transport to all of them goes up and down like a yoyo, as though
something was getting the threading of the connections across USB
screwed up. (This is a shame because I'd love to use it to mock up a
storage array for ZFS demos.)

IIRC, this issue started with a new USB framework early in Solaris 10,
and is still like that in current Solaris 11.

USB disks can work better than USB sticks, but I haven't ever tried a
direct substitution in the same environment where USB sticks fail, so I
don't know if that's universally true.

Some USB sticks have only limited command support. If you get hangs when
trying to use only one USB stick at a time, add the following to
/kernel/drv/scsa2usb.conf:

attribute-override-list="vid=* reduced-cmd-support=true";

and then "update_drv -f scsa2usb" (or reboot). However, this does
nothing to fix the multiple USB sticks issue above. (You can make this
option selective for specific USB stick models only - see the comments
in the file.)

--
Andrew Gabriel